Wednesday 24 February 2010

Our Musical Week

Because every day has its song. Right?


1. New Order, Blue Monday
B-side on The Beach (1983)

This, darlings, was the beginning of the dance era, I tell you. The anthem. It was considered such a great song that it was released and re-released several times – but the most interesting version remains the first one (that drum machine kicks ass, man). And it's definitely a great way to start your week.


2. Counting Crows, Barely Out Of Tuesday
Unreleased track

There is only one known recording of this song, from a live concert, which is a real shame, because this is a very good song. Of course it's about depression and insecurity and the feeling that nobody wants you. Hell, it's Adam Duritz, what are you expecting? But his voice sends shivers down my spine and the instrumental is pure love.


3. Jimmy Eat World, Wednesday
Jimmy Eat World (1994)

Ah, old good punk rock days. This is the seventh track on Jimmy Eat World's debut album (which is currently out of print, unfortunately). That's all I can say about this song, I'm currently too busy jumping up and down in my room while listening to it. So excuse me...


4. David Bowie, Thursday's Child
'hours...' (1999)

Yeah, it was a nostalgic era for Bowie, and the whole album proves it. The title of this song is inspired by the autobiography of actress Eartha Kitt, which was also called Thursday's Child. It's very introspective, but also hopeful (yes, my cynical friends, that's because the song is about pure true love that can save you from this misery called life. Aw). It features Holly Palmer on backing vocals.


5. The Cure, Friday I'm In Love
Wish (1992)

"I don't care if Monday's blue, Tuesday's gray and Wednesday too, Thursday I don't care about you, it's Friday, I'm in love..." You know the story. I still didn't manage to figure it out why only Friday. Second thought, I don't have to, actually. Love is always a mystery, right? Yeah, I should stop babbling.


6. Suede, Saturday Night
Coming Up (1996)

A tender note on an album full of irony and hedonism, this song reminds you that there are precious moments in life that you have to share with that precious someone. Or, if you're lonely as hell, it reminds you that you should forget about work at least once in a while and get the hell out. That's why it makes you happy, and not only on a Saturday night.


7. The Velvet Underground, Sunday Morning
The Velvet Underground and Nico (1967)

This song was supposed to be recorded with Nico on lead vocals, but at the last moment Lou Reed decided he will sing it himself (not a bad idea at all, if you ask me). It's a nostalgic, but also calm contemplation of the past – actually the whole song gives the impression of peace, feeling strongly accentuated by the use of celesta.


And now the week can start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment