Monday 28 December 2009

Sight And Sound

  1. The Road

Instead of writing something about this, here is what the man in charge, Mr. Nick Cave said about its creation: "The movie is about the loss of things, the absence of things, the lack of things. The lack of the wife/mother is present in every frame of the film. The delicate edifice of the film holds the ache of her absence, tenderly and by the tips of the fingers. The music was composed as a direct response to the film. A light, haunting, simple score with a sense of absence and loss at its heart."

  1. Twilight: New Moon

Did you have any doubt?! The greatest pie ever made from one artist after another. Everybody gave their best and everybody shined on this soundtrack. I want to thank every artist with a big smooch on both cheeks and one for Alexandra Patzavas as well.

  1. 500 Days of Summer

I can’t believe I’m going to use this adjective about a soundtrack but that is what my synapses issue here, this soundtrack is so cute, as in kitty cute. Regina Spektor and The Smiths grace the soundtrack with two creations each, The Temper Trap are mesmerizing and I’ve listened for the first time to Carla Bruni and I liked it. One of the bonus tracks is She&Him’s cover of The Smiths’ Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want. Adorable.

  1. Where the wild things are

One of the most anticipated movies of this year (for me) provided as soundtrack Karen O’s musical imagination. When I first heard about her and this movie I failed (mea culpa) to see the connection for such a choice. Failed or not, she pulled it off completely and achieved to expand the childhood/fantasy feeling of the story into the sound as well.

  1. Whip it

Drew Barrymore’s movie is a fun badass chick product. The soundtrack is exactly the same. You dive from one cool song into another, I just didn’t know which one to listen over and over again, everything just rocks. Yeah that’s the feeling. The combination of tracks is so diverse and quite atrocious in terms of tempo, but it works. I’m not going to give you any names. Just listen to it.

Original Scores that were worth it:

Twilight: New Moon - Alexander Desplat (fabulous, the only thing besides the image in the movie that is spectacular)

Coco Avant Chanel Alexander Desplat (he strikes and shines again)

The International Tom Tykwer, Reinhold Heil, Johnny Klimek (a great musical trio)

Angels and Demons Hans Zimmer (not matter what musical note that man throws at me, my ears squeal in delight)

No comments:

Post a Comment