Saturday 19 December 2009

We've Got The Vision

1.The Big PinkDominos

Simple, confusing and snow falling down in pink light. I adore it. Made me want to inhale all that air from the video since the first time I saw it. Same angles like The Whip's Trash , yet stands successfully like something cool. And the ice statues shattering, beautifully done. The director of the video, Tim Saccenti, is an amazing artist, a brilliant photographer and image director.


2.Depeche ModeWrong

Best video for 2009 my opinion, as a music video and as a short film. I say Los Angeles looks divine in the night, for a city that I hate. That Ford rolling backwards is genius and perfect. And the band’s appearance as passerbys seen by the guy in the car is a divine idea. The video director Patrick Daughters is an icon, regular client of Yeah Yeah Yeahs (among many, he did Gold Lion) and Kings of Leon videos, not to forget videos for Muse, Feist, Bright Eyes, Interpol and many others.


3.Florence + The MachineDrumming Song

The location is the queen of the video: marble, wood and white concrete – charming combination and architecture! Florence has perfect outfits and the hair’s new shade of red is great. The song fits the location and vice versa. Many applauses for image clarity and palette of colors.


4.MikaWe Are Golden

That room looks like the inside of my imagination if it were materialized, it’s the kind of video that made me want to watch it over and over, discovering a new cool item each time. The song is one of my favorites this year in terms of lifting up your mood and goofing around in the living room - oh yeah, I did!


5.GossipHeavy Cross

What can I say, it’s a childhood fantasy image: someone blowing glitter in special/cool lightning. Beth looks atrociously stylish (I used one of my moms golden lipsticks to smooch my bathroom mirror, before I made the weekly cleaning) and the Indian dudes look abstractly fit for the video.


Aside the list:
Kings of LeonNotion (the superposition of images and tones make the video quite nice).

MadonnaCelebration (editing at its finest and in perfect synchronization with the beat; editing shots with choreographic moves seems for me a killer and titanic work).

Lady GaGaPaparazzi (video by Jonas Akerlund – he did Pink’s Sober and Madonna’s American Life among others; love the video for Alexander Skarskard and that cool shot in that wood corner and GaGa with the feather hat and film wrapping outfit).

2 comments:

  1. Jonas Åkerlund also did Mika's We are Golden - video :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True words spoken!He is another God!

    ReplyDelete