Sunday 20 December 2009

Dream Brother


Newsflash! Spencer Krug a.k.a. Moonface will release a new single in 2010, called Dreamland EP: marimba and shit-drums. "Release" means physical release, on vinyl. Until then, you have the chance to download the song from Moonface's website. Okay, and now you probably expect me to present you the tracklist. Uhm, there's not such a thing. Is just a loooooooooooooong track. And when I say "loooooooooooooong", I mean twenty minutes.

"Twenty minutes? You got to be kidding me; this is not a Pink Floyd song!" was my first reaction. But then I remembered that I actually like Floyd's never-ending songs. So I pushed "play".

The first thing that hit my ears was the xylophone sound. At this point, I would like to say I love this instrument, even if there are not so many songs in my playlist that have a xylo in the background (which makes me wonder why). So in the first minutes I was really busy listening to it. After three and a half minutes, or so, the drums entered. A nice change, and an appropriate one, because it made me realise just in time that this song also has lyrics. And I am really grateful for that, because it gave me the idea to check them. And I read and listened at the same time, until the voice faded and the song ended with the same simple and yet complicated xylophone sound.

My conclusion? This song is really interesting as an experiment, but you have to be in the proper mood to listen to it. Normally, it's not a song you can listen to every day, and certainly not a song you can dance on. But if you want to take a pause and be with yourself, just close your eyes, turn off the light, and listen.

P.S. And when I say "listen", I also mean "pay attention to the lyrics":

"I was hanging out in the tower
The tower overlooked the sea
I saw him blowing on a horn to serenade his woman
He was pushing out the air with his machine
He’s just reading her mind...
I saw him push his fingers through her skin"


You can find the rest of the lyrics on Moonface's official website.

*photo courtesy of Moonface official site

No comments:

Post a Comment