Sunday 29 November 2009

Enough With The Moaning

I heavily dislike this period. Several reasons (all the commercial Xmas stuff etc) actually among which a rather painful one: the fact that as the year ends and January kicks in (ok, some days into the new year) I am one year older, one year closer to being forced to become a responsible adult (I mean, no one actually shoves this down my throat, but I don’t want to end up being a 30-something year-old who dances to ‘Bare Necessities’ at weddings).

But this really isn’t about me, it’s about the end of the year. This being 2009, let’s call this the end of the decade in capitals. Woho! And what do we get as the year (decade in this case) ends? Yes, lists. Best of lists. And, no, this isn’t about some hate I have for such lists. Because, you see, I am one of those weird people who hate lavender and love rose-scented soaps and also love end of the year lists. I don’t care who did it, who put it together, if it’s a list/top we’re talking about, I want to read it. Why? Because it shows what people like, what magazines staffs actually listen to blablabla. Yeah, it’s about opinions (that, according to Larry Flint, are like asshole, we all have one).

What I actually hate is the constant moaning. “Oh, your bands suck, my band is the best and you are all gay”. This sort of things. And the typical ‘Who do you think you are to say which song was the best?’ You know all the lines. They’re used every single year by, I like to believe, the same constant group of virgins.

Here’s news for all of those complaining. Usually, the magazine that does those lists states that this is the best of list as voted by fill in the blanks with staff/artists/etc. So, shouldn’t it be clear that it’s just an opinion, an opinion on a given subject you’ll like or dislike? Lists are not shitty, just view on who is better are different.

It’s like the whole thing with reviews and journalism in general. You know it’s biased or subjective. We give you the impression it’s not, but you have to be an idiot to think this, what we write, is impartial and not influenced in the slightest bit by what we like, what we’ve been through, by our own point of view. Sure, when I write a review I might pretend the world loves or hates the album, but you and me both know it’s just me who loves it.

The same with ‘Best of’ lists. ‘Best Of’ or “Greatest” are used to give the impression of, well, being not so subjective. But it is. Incredibly subjective, actually. Music is something really subjective and we all know that any music fanatic (including myself) has a bad habit of thinking or saying their favourite tracks are the best ever and no one else is entitled to a different opinion (usually the ‘You’re gay’ argument comes in).

So, for once, let’s stop moaning and let’s just admit that all these lists are just a means by which music journalists tell you what they thought was really great that year/decade. Don’t worry, you can still listen to your favourite band and think they are the best and the rest suck. No one’s telling you that you can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment