Saturday 22 August 2009

This Is Our Decision (?)

It happened some days ago. Or weeks. Actually, I think it was a couple of months ago, whatever, that doesn't actually matter. Please, please, don't ask me when – I don't even remember what I did yesterday.

So, I was in my (small) living room, watching VH1, as this is the only music channel where you can actually listen to music and not to some stupid crap, as the stuff they play on MassesTeleVision – if you know what I mean. And suddenly I've heard something. It was, well, you're not gonna believe it (just kidding)... a song.

"That sounds good actually", I thought. "It looks even better. Nice body" (...okay, let's ignore that, we're talking about music here). The "nice body" (a.k.a. Andrew VanWyngarden, but that was something that I was going to find out later) was singing about something that could be resumed as it follows: "how-to-live-your-life-at-its-best-and-to-do-what-you-want-to-do-in-ten-simple-steps". Or "how-to-be-a-star-and-screw-your-mind-and-body-and-throw-your-friends-away-in-ten-simple-steps". Both of them in the same song.

That was enough to make me look at the TV screen with just one thought on my mind: "What is the name of this wonderful, great, and beautiful band?" And, because fate is always kind with patient people (or that's what I like to think), I found out. They were MGMT, the song was Time to Pretend. And, from that day on, it became one of my favourite songs. And my current obsession.

It's beautiful. It's ironical and sad. It's about dreams and about lies, about love and about sex, about drugs and about family. It's about life and death. About how much you win by being famous… and about how much you lose. But it's your own decision ("To live fast and die young")... or maybe not ("There is really nothing, nothing we can do"). Is it about fate or is it about choice? One cannot tell. I cannot tell.

But I can tell for sure that this is a gorgeous song. And a gorgeous band. And a gorgeous Andr... ok, never mind.

3 comments:

  1. This kind of meaningless babble is your reaction to the so-called 'lame' music magazines on the market?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kind of meaningless babble is your reaction to my article?
    See, see, I can be sarcastic too.
    And have you ever listened that song I was writing about? At least once?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, to answer your last question, yes, hundreds of times.

    ReplyDelete