Friday 21 August 2009

About fans and rock bands

I’ve recently attended an Editors gig. Perhaps the band is irrelevant. I just felt like mentioning it. The gig was ok, in case you were wondering. Yes, ok. Thing is, after the gig, I posted a little innocent comment on Lastfm about how it was ok but there was something missing and how it was a pain in the ass to wait around for three hours not knowing when the gig was going to start. And I realised there are way too many people out there who think one should go to a gig after 9 pm (no matter what the ticket says). In what universe?

And then it struck me why the gig was just ok. There was no build-up before the actual concert. And I’m not talking about the warm-up music, opening-act blabla yadda yadda. No. I’m talking about the fans. See, I’m used to fanaticism. As someone once told me: ‘I was raised to believe that obsessing about your favourite rock bands is the only acceptable way’. And this includes concerts.

I have a small ritual before each gig. I triple-check the entry hour and the hour at which it’s supposed to start. I change a billion outfits in order to find the one that’s comfy enough, hip enough and includes pockets. I make sure everything I need fits in my tiny bag. And, naturally, I go to the concert venue some three hours before. Why? Cause it’s fun! It makes me incredibly happy sitting in a queue (or not) with a bunch of other fans who also want to hump the fence. It gives me chills when I hear the sound check. There is nothing in the world like that feeling I get when I see they’re letting us in and I know I’ll be front row (even if I have to kill a bunch of innocents). This is how all fans should behave. Otherwise, you cannot be considered a fan. And I for one will find the gig lame, boring, no fun. Or just ok, like the Editors gig. Because there were no signs of fanaticism before the actual gig. So maybe the band can’t make people feel that way. Or the fans are just not … fans. Real, hardcore ones. Either ways, it ruins the whole gig. We need the whole package.

Just to make it clear. Editors were great. During the concert, there was a great vibe. The audience was clearly enjoying every moment. Well, us people in the front rows. I can’t guarantee for the people in the back. But there was nothing before. No blood, sweat or tears (my sweat, other people’s blood and tears) were spilled so that people would get as close to the stage as possible. Most people turned up after 8 pm. There were chairs so there was this chillin’ in a backyard vibe. The venue was in a park so some though a walk (or a beer or a swing in the playground) would be a better idea than waiting inside the venue. And I didn’t feel like I was attending a concert!

And, in all honesty, beside all the things that get me off, there’s this thing called respect. For the bands playing and the people organizing the whole thing. You own it to them to be there in time. And, hey, let’s face it. The majority of bands starts playing at the time specified on the ticket/posters/etc. Because they too tend to respect the crowd and/or think some might depend on at least the last bus/tram/tube. That is, if they have any decency.

5 comments:

  1. Although I do not agree with some aspects presented here, like fanaticism, I think this is not what concerns me the most right now. I will congratulate you for using less slang , which to be honest I would have never thought you will get rid of, and for having a clean design. Thumbs up and we are waiting impatiently for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. slang has its point and i use it when i feel like it and when it underlines a point or another. and i will use it. don't worry. also, what you consider slang is so not slang. the clean design is the same as always. nothing changed from my old personal blog. just that there will be only music-related posts.
    And you could've talked about the topic of my post. At least a bit.
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel I have to say something about this post, since it mentions two of my favourite things: concerts and fanaticism, so to say.
    First of all, agreed on the mood of the crowd. I've seen brilliant concerts that were exclusively due to the fans (Oasis). And I've seen incredible bands perform flawlessly in front of a pretty unenthusiastic crowd (Travis). And there's one conclusion that I have: you paid for the ticket, you knew exactly where you were going, you might as well enjoy the show. Live concerts are not the best place to feel too shy or too ashamed to have a good time.

    And my second point has to do with what I saw at concerts in Romania and abroad. Maybe we are not accustomed yet to being completely fanatical about some band. We've had so few names that matter perform here (at least until about 5 years ago), that we went to those occasional big concerts just because they were big, not because we thought we would enjoy them. Does it make sense?

    Anyhow, you really made a point with this post, one that I completely agree with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda know what you're saying. But, on the other hand, I've been to concerts recently (here, in our country) where the crowd was great. For instance, Placebo's recent concert here. Man, it was insane. There were blood, sweat and tears. I had to run to get to the security check before other people, I had to push others and even the guards were afraid of us when they had to let us in.

    But, yeah, I don't know, I guess there's still a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is, but I think that we're on the right way. :)

    ReplyDelete