Tuesday 20 July 2010

They Were Really Ready


Five years, what a surprise (I just felt like writing this). If you're asking yourselves what's wrong with me, I will put it clearly, instead of messing around: The Books decided, after five years, to release their fourth studio album. It is called The Way Out, it has fourteen tracks, and it is their first album under the label Temporary Residence Limited. And because it's about The Books (which is, as far as I'm concerned, one of the few bands, if not the only one, able to transform almost every sound in great tunes), of course expectations were pretty big. So let's see what they brought us this time.

"Hello, greetings and welcome to a new beginning, for this tape will serve you as a new beginning. That's right, a new beginning, for we are ready to begin", the guys state on the album opening, Group Autogenics I, trying to explain us in few words the concept of the whole album. That shouldn't be surprising. If you've listened to this band at least once, you probably got used with their style - "collage music", this is how they call it (a very inspired description if you're asking me).

The new beginning (or the main change in sound) is represented not by the songs' structure itself (it's still the collage we knew and loved, thank the almighty god of music for that!), but by the addition of electronic sounds. And by that I mean A LOT of electronic sounds. Hell, it feels like you bathe yourself in a bath of electro music. But it feels damn good and refreshing. And because we're here, perhaps you should closely pay attention to the fourth track, A Cold Freezin' Night. The world won't be ever the same after you'll hear that obsessive beat and that kid uttering death menaces, I can guarantee for that.

All You Need Is A Wall is another strong highlight (I say strong, because, honestly, this album is full of highlights) due to the deep, introspective sounds, mixed with that wonderful, ethereal female voice, to the point where it almost makes you grateful that you're able to hear. And that's it, I won't say anything else, because I already feel guilty for nominating only two songs, so please excuse me. I'll end it here, and instead of a conclusion regarding this album, I'll just write down some of the words uttered in the final track, Group Autogenics II, "You are a masterpiece, you are a work of art".


*photo courtesy of The Books' official site

No comments:

Post a Comment