Thursday 24 June 2010

We Love Them


Take glamour rock and alternative rock and mix them carefully. Throw in arrogance and romanticism (carefully, you don't want to be sick after, right?) and you'll have it: Semi Precious Weapons' new release, You Love You. Nine tracks, diamonds, weapons, statues and beautiful rock 'n' roll – but let's not get wholly ahead of ourselves, shall we?

It hits you right from the beginning. The first guitar riff that says "The 70s were the best, baby!!!" while Justin Tranter shouts "I can't pay my rent but I'm fucking gorgeous". This song only is enough to charge your batteries for the whole day but apparently the guys thought that this won't do. So you're thrown away rapidly from a song to another, and wow, what a journey it is! Truly indescribable.

The voice is deep, strong and... I know I said that at the beginning of the article, but I really cannot find any other word… Arrogant. It yells from one hundred miles away "Look at me, worship me, I am the best!" As if that wasn't enough, you also have the lyrics. Thought that "I can't pay my rent but I'm fucking gorgeous" sounds daring, huh? Well, Tranter proves you are wrong. On Magnetic Baby he sings "It's not my fault I look better in her party dress / It's not my fault that you left your slutty girlfriend / It's not my fault this is how my momma made me / I've been magnetic since I was a baby". Surprising as it might look, he also rememembers his mates, and sings "We're gonna build statues of ourselves". Now what was that word again? Modesty? Forget about it.

The melodic, yet noisy in a very pleasant way sound fascinates you entirely. Simple and complex at the same time, it reminds you about the glam era, while keeping its contemporary fragrance. Highlight: the guitar solo on Sticky with Champagne is dazzling. However, Tranter & co also know how to slow down the train, as proven on the two ballads, Leave Your Pretty to Me and Look at Me. And you cannot help but to be impressed by such lyrics as "If you wanna dance, I'll dance / If you wanna touch, I'll touch / If you wanna kiss, I'll kiss / Just look me while we do it".

This album gives a new meaning to the statement Rock 'n' Roll Never Looked So Beautiful (listen to the song for more details). And if you love yourself and know what's good for you, take your headphones right now and play it.


*photo courtesy of Semi Precious Weapons' MySpace

1 comment:

  1. I really can't get enough of them. :x They're one of those orgasmic, rare, glittery bands that i enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete