Saturday 19 June 2010

She Never Claimed To Be An Artist


Rap (especially American rap) has never been one of my favourite genres. Of course, that doesn't mean I run away with my ears in pain whenever I happen to hear such a song. No, I listen to it. Sometimes I even dance, if I feel like to. However, things change when it comes to European based rap. For some unknown reason, I've always been more attracted to it. And here's where we get to the main subject of this article, which is the release of Uffie'sn long-awaited debut album, called Sex Dreams And Denim Jeans (nice rhyme). Yeah, it’s true that Uffie is American, but she is known as being a Paris-based artist (Europe, I love you). Plus her songs are strongly influenced by electronic music.

The first song, Pop the Glock, is so catchy, that it makes you dance even if you're not in the proper mood for that. It's that kind of song you hear and like, without being able to properly explain why. I mentioned it because: a) it's the first song and b) the most likeable. The... well, album as a whole is not addictive at all. Even worse, it is actually strongly eclipsed by the just mentioned song. Don't even try to remember the other songs after you heard Pop the Glock – it's an almost impossible task.

It's true. The girl has a really nice flow. Her voice might be too over-produced, but she has enough sense of humour to make fun of that. "I never claimed to be an artist / I can't even sing, you know?" she sincerely confesses in Our Song, before starting to tell us about how you can be involved with someone when you're the centre of attention for everyone. Blah blah blah, something new? Don't ask me to tell you what the other songs are all about, because I forgot and I'm not in the proper mood to listen to this... well, album, once more. And the music is, more or less, the same shit just a different song. Hip hop beats in the background plus some "let's play with a computer and see what we can get" sounds. Well, to be honest, I have to admit that sometimes the hip hop beats are missing – and that's what we call diversity. Yeah, right.

"Huh? What was it all about again? Oh yeah... Right. Now where was I?" will probably be the most common reaction to this... well, album. You'll most likely play Pop the Glock once or twice (or more), and then forget about it until the next party you'll organise at your home. Believe me, it will do.


*photo courtesy of Uffie's MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment