Sunday 6 June 2010

Musical Cake


I know I've said it several times before, so please don't kill me... but it can't be helped. I love the '90s (musically speaking, of course). And when it comes to a band that formed in that era, I can't help but feel shivers down my spine. You know, that kind of groupie exclamation "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD" (okay, I'm exaggerating, but you got the point, right). Teenage Fanclub is one of those bands, born in 1989, when grunge was ruling the world. It is my pleasure to introduce you to their new album (the ninth, to be more specific), called Shadows.

While I was listening to this album, I couldn't help but play a song or two from their first album, just to refresh my memories. My oh my, weren't they noisy! It's really incredible how things can change. But putting that aside... It seems their purpose in life is to write the perfect pop song. Of course, I know, you know, we all know that perfection is not something a human being can achieve, but it's worth trying. And I guess that's what they're trying to teach us.

The sound is not very different from their previous albums (if you're looking for something innovative, you might be disappointed), but it's really complex and reflective in a very, very pleasant way. Flutes, string, guitars, drums and voices fit just perfectly; it all seems to be the soundtrack for a warm sunny afternoon. Happiness, comfort and peace (a-ha, who said the '60s were dead and buried? In your face!). The naïve, bright lyrics (highlight: "No I don't need much when I have thee") serve only to improve the atmosphere (that, if you're the kind of person who still believes in flower-power and romantic love; if you're not, run away while you still can).

The guys from Teenage Fanclub are moving forward on the path they chose several years ago and bring us on the table another piece of cake. It's delicious indeed, but for the ones that hate sugar it might be a big no.

*photo courtesy of Teenage Fanclub's official site

No comments:

Post a Comment