Sunday 21 February 2010

Nice Work


The new albums saga goes on, and this time it is Shout Out Louds' turn, as their third studio album, Work, is scheduled to be released on February 23rd. The album has ten tracks, including the two singles, Walls and Fall Hard.

I don't know how it happened (actually I do – my player was on shuffle), but the first song I heard was the ninth, Show Me Something New. It might seem weird (and of course it is, considering the fact that these guys are actually more of a pop-rock band), but for a couple of moments I thought at New Order. Just for a couple of moments (the guitar riff is the one to blame); after that, of course I realised that we can't actually talk about a real similarity in sound. However, that made me found this track really interesting (after the whole listening, I'd dare to say we might actually talk about the best track on this album, but let's not anticipate).

Being a person that likes to do things in a certain order (at least when it's about listening to an album for the first time), I turned the shuffle off and I came back to the first track, 1999. "Tonic" would be the most proper word to describe it, most due to the keyboard line. Another highlight is Fall Hard – its catchy drums and guitar line makes it a great choice for a single, says my humble self. However, the overall impression is that of tracks blending together, which makes the whole thing a really cohesive piece of work. It might sound boring, but it's not – it's really enjoyable. It doesn't make you dance – most likely it makes you tip your feet and feel fine in a very pleasant and calm way. If that was their purpose, then it was accomplished.

*photo courtesy of Shout Out Louds MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment