Wednesday 20 January 2010

Love Is All Around Us


Fly Yellow Moon is not only an album, but also a premiere for Fyfe Dangerfield – because it is his first solo album. I suppose that you're very curious about how Dangerfield's music will sound without his band mates, so I won't waste your time with any introduction anymore.

The album is basically a collection of love songs – by love I don't mean only its sad, full of suffering and pain aspects. It's also about love in its wonderful, full of warmth aspects – or, as Dangerfield himself says in opening song, When You Walk In The Room (which happens to be one of my favorites), "In this moment no one is pulling me down into the ground / I can't help it if I'm happy not to be sad". However, the dark side of love is not forgotten at all (Barricades is an example,among others), and it can't be said clearly if you really can surpass everything if that certain someone is beside you.

Instrumentally speaking, Dangerfield passes from slow, acoustic tunes (sometimes piano, other times acoustic guitar) to songs filled with energy (those drums are magical). In other words, ups and downs – the feeling that you habe the world at your feet followed by melancholy and the dangerous approach of an end. As I said before, it's all about love.

All in all, this is a really remarkable album, and hearing that Dangerfield recorded it in only five days just makes me appreciate it even more. And I can't help but be curious about what the next Guillemots album will bring us.

*photo courtesy of Fyfe Dangerfield official site

No comments:

Post a Comment