Thursday 3 December 2009

Panic On The Streets Of London

London. Also known as the place I’ve been planning to move to since I was about seven. However, I’ve only been to London once and rather late, meaning last summer (when I was 20… 20 minus seven. Do the math yourselves). And, much to my distress, I realised I was not mistaken: I need to move there. I say ‘distress’ because it was great and I didn’t want to leave but I had to and … yeah, you know the deal.

So it was my utter and complete love for this tiny, tiny town that made me do a list of songs about London and various places on and about the city.

1. The Clash – London Calling (Yes, shocking, this song on a list about London.)

2. Lily Allen – LDN (again, I keep making controversial choices)

3. White Rose Movement - London's Mine (electro-sleaze. Lovely)

4. The ClashLondon’s Burning (it’s not my fault they wrote songs about the city)

5. The Lambrettas - London Calling (no, not a cover, but a great mod-revival piece)

6. The Smiths London

7. Patrick WolfLondon (yes, artists have no creativity when it comes to song names)

8. The KinksLola (yes, it all happens in LDN)

9. Madness - Mr Speaker (Gets the Word)

10. Pulp - Mile End

11. Elvis Costello - I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea

12. The Small Faces - Itchycoo Park

13. The Clash - Guns of Brixton

14. The Stranglers - (Get a) Grip (on Yourself)

15. The Jam - Eton Rifles

16. The Jam - Down in the Tube Station at Midnight

17. The Kinks - Dead End Street (about a bedsit in Kentish Town. A crappy bedsit)

18. The Kinks - Dedicated Follower of Fashion (and Carnaby Street)

19. Morrissey - Come Back to Camden ( to be more specific, I want to move to Camden. Walking cliché I am)

20. Sham 69 - Cockney Kids are Innocent

21. The Jam - Carnaby Street (I wonder what this is about)

22. Babyshambles - Black Boy Lane

23. Pulp - Bar Italia

24. Babyshambles - Albion (various London districts are mentioned. Cause, like, Albion means just London

25. The Rakes - 22 Grand Job

26. The Jam - 'A' Bomb in Wardour Street

27. The Clash(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais

28. Bloc Party ­ - Waiting for the 7.18 ("the Northern Line")

29. Dirty Pretty Things - Tired of England

30. XTC - Towers of London (really now)

31. Pulp - Sorted for E's and Wizz (or how Jarvis got lost in Camden)

32. Secret Affair - Soho Strut

33. Jamie T - Sheila (she does drown in Thames)

34. Madness - Primrose Hill

35. Babyshambles - Pentonville

36. Television Personalities - Part Time Punks

37. The Rakes - Just A Man With A Job (“Three floors below from Piccadilly”)

38. Good Shoes - Morden

39. Larrikin Love - Downing Street Kindling

No comments:

Post a Comment