Wednesday 9 December 2009

Musical Orgasms

Translation: la crème de la crème. Or the best gigs I've been to this year.


1) Placebo (21.06.2009, Romexpo, Bucharest)

We all know what kind of show these guys can do, if they are in the mood. And, lucky us, the concert in Bucharest happened to be right at the beginning of their Battle for the Sun tour. That equals a really good mood. The sound was simply perfect, and Molko and the gang did their best. Hell, they made me jump even on Ashtray Heart (I told you once that I hate this song, and I still do, by the way). Of course, we must give the proper credits to the audience, which was simply great (or, in Molko's words, "a fucking amazing audience"). All in all, it was a concert very close to perfection, and definitely the best concert of the year.


2) White Lies (01.07.2009, B'estFest, Bucharest)

I was really impatient to see White Lies live. Not only because they were the revelation of the month-year-century yada yada, but also because I was madly in love with their song To Lose My Life. Right before their concert, a really big storm started, and for a half an hour (or even more) I was afraid that they will cancel. Fortunately, the rain calmed down, so they were able to play. Unfortunately, the sound suffered a little. Fortunately again, the public was very warm, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they actually have fans in Romania. Apparently, they were too, as they announced they'll come back as soon as possible.


3) The Killers (01.07.2009, B'estFest, Bucharest)

Their concert started a few minutes after White Lies played their set. So yes, it was still raining, the sound was still bad, and, because I had been in front row at White Lies, I was now really far from the stage. However, I forgot everything when Human started. I know "Are we human of are we dancer?" might sound stupid (and it actually does), but it sounds great live. Flowers' voice seemed really different to me – he tends to sing higher than he does it on albums. I liked the way he walked around the scene as he was singing – he was pure energy. And I also liked the way people reacted to All These Things That I've Done. That almost made me to forget about their damn umbrellas. Almost.


4) Franz Ferdinand (03.07.2009, B'estFest, Bucharest)

They started to play right after what it should have been the Klaxons set. Don't ask now about that, I don't want to remember. About their concert I'll say just one thing: when I entered Romexpo that day, Franz Ferdinand was a nice band. When I left Romexpo, Franz Ferdinand was an amazing band. Yes, their show was that good. Oh, and remember I told you Flowers was pure energy? Triple that and you'll start to have an idea about what happened on stage while these guys are singing.


5) IAMX (01.10.2009, Fratelli Studios, Bucharest)

Quoting myself: "An IAMX concert is always more than just a live show, and anyone who had the chance to see Chris Corner on stage will agree on this matter". I had IAMX on repeat for a month after this concert. And I dream at the day when Chris will come back to play with our minds again. Pray with me for a better sound.


Worth mentioning
Anathema (29.04.2009, Sala Palatului, Bucharest)


The British ex-doom metal, now atmospheric/alternative rock band, happens to be one of my guilty pleasures. My expectations were really big, considering their first concert I've attended (an acoustic set in 2008) – and I wasn't disappointed at all. These guys are damn great live; Vincent Cavanagh's voice is as good as on the albums (and that's something). Plus, they know how to communicate with their public. So the promise Vincent made at the end of the show that they will come back in 2010 to sing some new songs made me really glad. By the way, what the hell is going on with that album, you guys?


It could have been: Klaxons
They were going to play at B'estFest, before Franz Ferdinand, but their instruments were stuck on the road between Oslo and Bucharest. Yeah, I know, it sucks. Well, I still hope I'll have the chance to see them again.

2 comments:

  1. Brian said that this concert(21.06.09) was clearly in his top5:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i know. i'm very glad that i had the chance to be a part of the audience. :D

    ReplyDelete