Saturday 21 November 2009

When We Were Young

A long time ago (somewhere around 1994), I was watching a French soap-opera on TV (the name is irrelevant). You might wonder what the hell does that has to do with the main subject of this blog. Well, the fact itself has no relevance. The idea is that before the show there were broadcasted a few music videos, every day the same ones. And one of them was Björk's Human Behaviour.

As I didn't know a single English word at that time, for me this song was the-video-with-that-cute-girl-and-with-that-bad-teddy-bear. No, seriously, I hated that bear, and every time I was hoping that the girl will somehow escape. However, there was something more, something that kept me glues to the TV screen. Her voice and the way she sang, with those ups and downs, the bizarre instrumental, the impression that she was saying something very complicated and very simple at the same time. And I remember that at least once the soap-opera started earlier than usual, and the video was cut short – which somehow annoyed me.

Now, as I am a big girl, I know what Björk wanted to say in that song, but… Even now, when I listen to it, I cannot help but think at that little girl who hated the teddy bear rather than meditate to the complexity of the human behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment