Monday 23 November 2009

Superbe!


I just love French music, and when I get the chance to listen to some good French songs, I don't even think to miss it. Speaking of good songs, I think it is rather difficult to express in words the way one perceives a certain track that feels like flying or dreaming – far away from this world. I just think words are not enough.

And now I am here, in front of you, trying to tell you a few words about Benjamin Biolay's new release, La Superbe. It is his fifth studio album (or better said, double album), and I was really curious, considering the fact that it was one of the most praised new released albums. However, in my mind the verdict was already given: it will be either a complete failure, or a masterpiece – nothing in between. That's how I think when it comes to such releases. And usually I'm right. In a way or another.

At the beginning of the article I mentioned something about songs which make you fly or dream. Well… when you will listen to this album, you'll discover the fact that you don't have one or two songs of this kind here, but an entire collection. And you don't know the reason. Maybe it's just Biolay's voice, warm, tender, soft and seductive at the same time. Maybe it's those hypnotic, slow instrumentals that I cannot describe without feeling I rip them into pieces and ruin all their beauty. Maybe the female voices (Gesa Hansen on La superbe, Jeanne Cherhal on Tout ça me tourmente, Valérie Donzelli on 15 août and Alka on Lyon presqu'île). Maybe the lyrics written in Spanish (sang by Frederico Schindler) from Buenos Aires. Maybe it's you and your dreams. Or maybe… it's everything all together. You simply cannot put your feelings into words, one must hear to understand.

All can I say at the end is that the album title is more than deserved.

*photo courtesy of Banjamin Biolay official site

No comments:

Post a Comment