Thursday 19 November 2009

Reality Might Kill You


Okay, so bad boy Robbie Williams released a new album. I must recognize he's not one of the artists I listen to every day, but hell, he had some great songs in the past, so why not? The fact that this album was presented as "the fabulous comeback yadayada" was another reason to make me want to listen to it, even if my mind was whispering to me that usually "fabulous comeback" equals crap. "Shut the hell up, we'll see!"

The title is very interesting: Reality Killed the Video Star (of course it's inspired by Video Killed the Radio Star, which is a song I truly like, and it's certainly more inspired than the first title, Il Protagonista). Morning Sun, the first track, is pure love, the piano line is just great, so it doesn't really matter that it reminds you (strongly) of Elton John. And… now I guess I should say something about the other tracks too? Ummm. Well there are some slow songs and some songs you can dance to, and… that's pretty much all I can say about this.

Don't get me wrong, the album is actually quite enjoyable (especially the slow tracks) and Robbie's voice is great as always. However, there's not too much out there to make you jump off your seat or close your eyes and think "Oh my God, how could he write such an amazing piece?" No, you won't find anything similar to She's the One, or Feel. And certainly nothing that'll make this album a "fabulous comeback". I guess the assumption that "fabulous comeback" is usually a synonym for "No, it's not that great, but maybe if I'll go and tell anyone it is wonderful they'll believe me" is proven to be correct.

However, I still love Morning Sun.

*photo courtesy of Robbie Williams official site

No comments:

Post a Comment