Friday 6 November 2009

Lucid Dreams


If you don’t know Camera Obscura’s music, you are such a fool. If you do, you know the title is a perfect description of this over four minutes piece of sheer wonder. And you also should know it by now, as The Sweetest Thing is taken of their exquisite April release, My Maudlin Career. In a perfect world, we’d all know this and I’d end my review here. But, sadly, Camera Obscura are somewhat of a underrated band, if not among music journalists, then among listeners. So this is for the many, many fools amongst us.


Like most of their songs, The Sweetest Thing captures effortlessly 60s girls groups pop: Tracyanne Campbell’s kind of blaze and, yes, adorable vocals, the drums that make your heart pound, the sugary keyboards. Hell, the entire song, every note, every chord shift is not recommended for people with diabetes. And that chorus (“When you’re lucid/You’re the sweetest thing/I would trade my mother to hear you sing”) is so pure genius and so heart melting you know you would trade you mother to hear this playing endlessly

2 comments:

  1. I took a random post and tried to listen to what you suggested. This one does sound 60sish and I like it like that. Cool

    ReplyDelete