Sunday 1 November 2009

Echoes


I think it’s only fair that we should get something out of the way: post-punk bands are always going to be influenced by Joy Division. Even more so if they come from Eastern Europe (as someone who lives here and is aware of some bits and pieces of eastern indie, I can say it as a fact). Yes, they are all sucking on the corpse of Ian Curtis and they are all trying to reach the other three while their blood is still warm. And even if this is not a stated influence, some cunning music journalist/blogger/fanatic will say there is a bit of the four Manchurians’ music hidden somewhere in the instrumental.

Motorama came from southern Russia (Roston-on-Dov for those of you who are huge nerds and need to know the exact place) and play post-punk. Traditional post-punk. By saying this, I can actually end my presentation of this band and invite you all to visit their official Myspace/site. Alas, I feel obliged to continue and mention the exact Joy Division period. For Motorama’s major inspiration comes from early Joy Division, when the music was not suffocating and it incorporated danceable bass lines and drum patterns combined with echoing vocals.

Now, I know you might think that maybe I just see this Joy Division influence because, like most music journalists/bloggers, this is all I can think of. So this is when I invite you to listen to the four Russians music and try to ignore the vocals, which sound exactly like Curtis’s voice. So all that’s really left is to keep our fingers crossed they will get big enough to tour outside Mother Russia.

I should also point out that you’ll be able to find many songs to download on their official site, including early demos and a live version of their song Somersault (the lead singer, Vladislav, sounds even more like the ghost of Curtis). The English accent seems perfect so this gets them extra points (rarely do Eastern European bands have a good accent and I fail to see why as I know plenty of Eastern Europeans who have great English accents).

1 comment:

  1. They're brilliant. I'm also a sucker for Joy Division so that must explain my excitement. The influence of Joy Division is quite obvious even in bigger bands like Interpol or Editors.
    I just love it when i discover new bands (i'll give you all the credits).

    ReplyDelete