Sunday 11 October 2009

Butterfly .


When I was asked to digest and write about the new Editors album I felt rather challenged, not mentally but rather emotionally. I adore Editors, only one song and that is ‘Smokers Outside Hospital Doors’, that is beyond above beyond, there is no such expression, but still you get the drift.


So I snatched the album, again you get my drift, and opened the folder to dive into the songs: a clean technical title, explanatory cover reminiscent of Edward Hopper’s works – well thought! And just 9 songs. See, I am a woman and for women, as you probably have experienced painfully, there is no such thing as enough or we don’t quite do the less thing. So when I get only 9 songs on an album, hm, it smells fishy. The only good explanation would be that there are 9 perfect songs, that only this and nothing more will fit perfectly. Ok, for now I’ll swing with it.


I tried to listen carefully to each track, and take it one at a time but I immediately realized that it is supposed to be taken as a whole in the strictest way possible. Like a wave that comes and hits you then retracts and then hits again, a pattern of flowing emotions. Taken as a whole the album is typical Editors, style, lyrics, composition, track list you name it. An album that has rather deep charisma and musical relevance. As they (the band) simply cataloged it an album with an electric feel. I don’t like at all, feels absolutely electric indeed but also boring to exhaustion, draw my eyelids to close but not sufficiently annoying to change the track and pass to the next one. It numbed me to the point of lethargy.


Still I will not deny that without a doubt it is nothing more than an album to be tasted, not at all for the wide mass of listeners, but for the fans and some snob poor bastards that would attempt to taste some form of musical cuisine a la Editors.



Now, not taken as a whole I had a different feeling regarding tracks like ‘Eat Raw Meat = Blood Drool’ - magically orchestrate and divinely outlined by Tom - and of course ‘Papillon’ - for me the it song of this album. It is simply the perfume of the entire fragrance display; another strike of genius a la Editors acknowledged as first single. Now, if ‘Eat Raw Meat= Blood Drool’ is the olive in the Martini glass, then ‘Papillion’ is the Bellini’s white peach.

Ladies and gentlemen, the new Editors album.


No comments:

Post a Comment