Wednesday 21 October 2009

Another Soldier!




Back in the good (teenage) days I loved the guys from N.E.R.D. because they used to be known as the guys from The Neptunes. They produced and gave us ‘I’m a slave for you’ and the amazing remix for ‘Sympathy for the devil’ from The Rolling Stones (they added that sensual flavor to the all classic track : 2004 version check it out – a masterpiece). And then as history is we got N.E.R.D. (Nobody Ever Really Dies - cool, unless you end up in purgatory, meaning a ghost on Earth). I loved and shook my booty on some of their tracks but it seems to that their work for others is much more fulfilling. So they have a new single. Honestly I have this thing (one of many) when it comes to name for songs. I just simply hate it when they can’t find other names for songs besides the ones that have already been used. I mean this new track is called ‘Soldier’, even if the other track that comes to mind is ‘Soldier’ from Destiny’s Child (one of their best), still that is no excuse. Can’t you bloody find another name, synonyms baby, synonyms!


What, are you already feeling my distaste for the single, well, yes. It’s a big load of crap. It can’t even be categorized as a play song (the kind of track born in a studio play at late hours of the night and boredom). The fast tempo is a bright sad reminder of Benny Hill kind of tune, and even a bite from Foo Fighters – The Pretender. Then it eases predictably into a lazy rhythm to hold the voice of Santogold, who does not what she does best but what she can only do. Can’t wait for the album, when interesting work like this will poise my ears.
I want The Neptunes! * cries like a baby*.

No comments:

Post a Comment