Sunday 6 September 2009

And Now I'm Flying Like An Angel To The Sun

AB4, Zdob&Zdub, The Herbaliser, Guano Apes – 5th of September, Tuborg GreenFest Bucharest, Romania


A free festival? In our country? And the bands on the bill are actually good and ..well, some of them are rock bands? These was the general vibe as the artist that were to play Tuborg GreenFest were announced. This and the general concern that there will be too many people nosing around. Well, yes, there were people who just came for the beer (after all, it was a beer-related festival), but there were also people genuinely interested in the bands (and quite many, I have to say) and the crowds for each band seemed great.


First up were AB4. Back in the day, they were known as ‘Placebo of Romania’. Nowadays, they’re trying to be more ‘Editors of Romania’. I’m not really sure whether it’s a good or bad thing – not being Placebo-ish anymore and being more Editors. AB4 have the luck of being one of the veteran alternative bands of this country and, maybe because of this, will always be able to gather a crowd. There will always be those who have listen to their music for many years and still do. Then, there are the youngsters who are just discovering the band. And then there are people like me. People who, even if they don’t really listen to AB4 anymore and who can’t really be called fans anymore, still attend every gig and always get a huge smile on their faces because of the memories they are remind of. I guess it’s safe to say the crowd will always make AB4 feel loved. Even though we don’t always know the lyrics or think that the lead, Doru, might need some help with his English grammar.


A short break for sound check and some beers and I was again in the middle of the crowd this time for Zdob&Zdub. Now, I have to admit to it, their music isn’t something I listen to. It’s ok, I appreciate them but that’s it. However, I always get excited at a thought of a Zdob&Zdub concert. Why? Because they’re great entertainers and they get the people going so heavy pogoing and a good moshpit are always a must at their gigs. The only problem during the concert was the dust that was rising due to all the pogo – you see, the concerts were held in a park which meant dirt and, of course, no one thought they could use some sort of protection.


Another break and a few more beers and this time I was a bit lost. See, The Herbaliser are ok, they’re funky, I’d listen to their music (although I never did), but they’re not very … well, rock. And I can’t really see how they fitted in between to ..well, rock bands. Especially when the people in front of the stage where there because the wanted to see Guano Apes. Also, I didn’t really stay to see them. I just chilled on what was supposed to be grass trying to get some energy for the main gig.


And so, before the ending of The Herbaliser’s concert, I crept back in the crowd took off my spectacles, shoved my small bag and phone in a friends backpack so I could pogo and got a little scared at the sight of shirtless rockers who were getting ready for the moshpit. And, yes, there was an epic moshpit. Three songs in and I could barely breath and was sweating like a pig. I was shoved back and forth while Sandra Nasic was yelling ‘You’re amazing’ between songs. Sure, the moshpit wasn’t so ‘violent’ afterwards and, though I did get stepped on my right foot (I was sitting on the edge of the pit) one too many times, it was ok, no one got hurt. The best bit was when Sandra told all the boys to take their shirts off and make her happy. And you could see almost all the guys in the crowd taking them off and waving them in the air. Of course, everyone wanted to hear ‘Lords Of The Boards’. Hell, it’s the perfect song for pogoing. This and the fact that it was kept as the last song (thus only increasing our desire to hear it) only means one thing. Remember what I was saying about those first songs? Triple it! Oh, what a feeling.


And what a great festival day. Even if I still can’t feel the back of my neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment