Tuesday 25 August 2009

Humbug? Not Really


When I was asked if I'd like to write about the new Arctic Monkeys release, I agreed, even though they weren't one of the bands I was listening every day. Actually, all I had listened was Fluorescent Adolescent and that song with that wonderful, impressive video, called Leave Before the Lights Come On. But I enjoy challenges. And I'm open to new bands and new sounds. Actually that's how I discovered many of my current favourite bands. That's why I said yes.

I must admit the first two albums made me really curious. The refreshing sound of Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (which reminded me a bit about The Libertines), the sophisticated sound of Favourite Worst Nightmare, both combined with some damn smart lyrics, made me ask myself "Okay, what's next?" "Next" was Humbug. "Well, let's hope this title is just a joke."

The journey started with My Propeller. A sound which seems to be even more elaborated that the one of Favourite Worst Nightmare (lead guitar and bass are thrilling), and a voice that seems warmer and, somehow, more calm. Definitely good. Yeah, good, but Crying Lightning, the following song, is fascinating. It was love at first listening for me. At second listening, it already became passion. A tempo which rises gradually and practically explodes in the chorus. Good choice for a first single, I'd say.

Pleased by the beginning, I considered that I should pass to the next song. Dangerous Animals captivated me, not only with the powerful and interesting instrumental, but also with the dark lyrics. The part with "A-N-I-M-A-L-S" and "D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S" is a bit annoying and repetitive though; but still, the song is good. Secret Door oscillates between a slow and a fast tempo. Not that bad, but certainly it doesn't seem that fascinating as the first songs. However, I enjoyed the slow part of the song and also the lyrics. The next track, Potion Approaching, reminds a bit of the band's first release, not only because of the instrumental, but also because of Alex Turner's voice, which seems to be a little higher on this song. This impression lost its strength somewhere toward the song's end, where the tempo slowed down. The lyrical part seemed to be the classic love triangle "I-do-not-want-her-I-want-you"; but Turner has an interesting way to say it, I must admit that.

I was waiting impatiently for the following song, Fire And the Thud, as I knew that Allison "VV" Mosshart from The Kills is backing vocal on it. The song is quite slow, maybe the slowest song on this album. The instrumental is based on the main guitar and on drums, and it becomes more powerful towards the end; however, at the end of the song it slows down again. Interesting. Cornerstone has an elaborated and (somehow) nostalgic instrumental, sustained strongly by the lyrical content. Another song I truly liked; I will probably play it on repeat. That's also the case with Dance Little Liar, a fascinating tune, which hypnotises with its guitar riffs and powerful drum line. Nothing better than a good instrumental sustained by good lyrics.

Pretty Visitors is another song that is reminiscent of Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. Same kind of "in-your-face-babies-it-is-time-to-wake-up" instrumental, with some nap pauses, sustained by organ. Nostalgia might send you somewhere in 2006, but the last song, The Jeweller's Hands brings you back just in time to let you enjoy the last 5 minutes and 42 seconds from this album. Another diversified, solid instrumental, the end of the fascinating journey I've had listening Humbug. "If you've a lesson to teach me, I'm listening, ready to learn", Turner sings, and I guess that was exactly my thought before I had this, let's call it, mission to write about this album. Now I can say that I won't stop listening. And that's because I liked what I've heard.

On short, the sound of Humbug is even more elaborated than the one from Favourite Worst Nightmare. And some, who'll miss for sure the energy from the debut album, could consider this a real humbug. On the other hand, some of you may consider that this album is nothing but a proof that Arctic Monkeys started to grow old, musically speaking.

*photo courtesy of Arctic Monkeys' official site

No comments:

Post a Comment